and Stay Ahead
Learn online with Harvard Medical School
Earn a certificate from Harvard Medical School and
hit the ground running for the next stage of your career.
Interested in a career in health care?
HMX courses from Harvard Medical School will help you
- get a solid grounding in topics important to your future
- feel confident for next steps even if you didnât major in biology, chemistry, or pre-med
- maximize your learning in your current related courses
- understand principles and concepts instead of memorizing facts
- focus your studying by finding out which topics expert medical educators consider most central and relevant
- learn how the foundational knowledge you acquire applies to taking care of patients
Who should take these courses?
- College students interested in medicine or anyone who is considering applying to medical school
- Individuals interested in pursuing training for other health care careersâincluding physician assistant programs, nursing programs, pharmacy programs and programs for other related health care professionsâwho want to raise their understanding to the next level
- High school students who are interested in medicine and want to challenge themselves
- Curious learners with sufficient prerequisites (biology, chemistry, physics) who want to learn more
Courses include Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, and Immunology.
Highly Visual and Interactive
Complex material comes to life through visually engaging
explanations rather than traditional lectures and PowerPoint slides.
âThe assessment questions were well formulated and allowed me to really determine whether I was understanding the concepts correctly.â
Learn foundational concepts in physiology and see how they apply to patient care.
Learn foundational concepts in immunology and gain a basis for understanding a broad range of medical conditions.
Learn foundational concepts in biochemistry and gain insight into the molecular basis of disease.
Learn foundational concepts in genetics and see how genomics is changing the face of health care.
What Makes HMX
Courses So Effective?
Course components designed to maximize your learning.
Real-world stories let you explore concepts, providing relevance and integration of key principles.
Illustrative visuals guide you through complex processes in a step-by-step, self-paced way.
âThe immunology visuals were wonderful!
The step-by-step illustrations were very
clear, easy to
helpful in digesting the lesson.â
Clear, concise, and visually engaging explanations from expert Harvard Medical School faculty teach key concepts in digestible segments, using writing, drawing, and animations along with conversational tone.
Explore topics through active learning and experimentation with simulations and other uniquely responsive visuals.
Focus on the concepts that matter for your future by tying your learning to real clinical applications. Venture inside the hospital or other clinical setting with outstanding HMS clinicians. These videos bring you closer to the practice of medicine and give you a glimpse into your future.
âThe physiology interactives that showed the changes in pressure and volume were the best partsâ¦ they helped me see a representation of what I was learning and therefore helped me better conceptualize the content.â
Quiz Questions &
Check your understanding, enhance your learning, and measure your progress. Quizzes at the beginning and end of each course showed significant learning gains for students at all levels of background knowledge. In HMX Immunology, students showed an average of 83% improvement in score.
Downloadable for digital or paper-based note taking workflows, these visually crafted documents help you synthesize and review key topics.
Learn From a Trusted Source
Courses are led by Harvard Medical School faculty, working in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team of experts in biomedical visualization, assessment, and the science of learning to create a unique learning experience that will stay with you.
These are the same online courses taken by incoming Harvard Medical School students (including incoming medical, dental, and immunology graduate students) prior to starting school to prepare for their rigorous curriculum. HMX courses are also used in the new Harvard Medical School curriculum as part of a âflipped classroomâ model of teaching.